Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Camelia Challenge and Carve Stamp Play Workshop

CAMELIA CHALLENGE


This week's Diva Challenge (#165) was to use the Camelia tangle created by Anne Marks (steps here).  I had fun learning this tangle and then creating this ATC-sized piece for the challenge:
Camelia is the black and white tangle.
Other tangles: Flux, 'Nzeppel, Amaze, and Fescu
Colored and shaded with Inktense and colored pencils

Carve Stamp Play Workshop

After the Zentangle workshop, the Artists of the Round Table group started working on the Carve Stamp Play Workshop based on the book by the same name by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer.  As I love to carve and I always learn so much from these worshops, I decided to participate in this workshop as well.  


 The first few lessons went through some basics, but now things are definitely getting interesting and I'm having a lot of fun.  Here are a couple of my favorite finished carvings so far.  I hope you enjoy them.


Print from my faux wood carving lesson
On the left is the print , on the right is the carving

17 comments:

  1. Nice flow to your tile with Camelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Donald! I enjoyed yours, too!

      Delete
  2. I love your Zia ad the color combo you used!! Beautiful!! I would love to try my hand at carving stamps! You may have just inspired me!! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annette :) I love to carve stamps and then play with the prints.

      Delete
  3. Your tangle is "wow". Such an interesting combination, with the white space, and rivulets of water
    in the upper left v-space. I really enjoyed seeing your "wood" carvings too. I bought one of the foam bases, but have never attempted it. Do you do journaling, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gloria, I did have fun with the tangle :).
      Regarding carving... it is so much fun to create your own patterns and designs :) I love to play with the prints, so I tend to carve with a lot of different shapes and empty spaces - the wood carve is definitely an exception.
      Regarding journaling... I actually have just started recently and have not shared anything yet. I am actually planning to share next week a very fun mini-journal I am making with all recycled papers. The idea was to try with a small one, but make a "regular-sized" one if it comes out well.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Caroona. I do love how a lot of the other people's tangle goes lengthwise... it does add a really good flow to the pattern. I did not look at anyone's submission before doing mine :), so I went across instead, since I wanted the shapes to repeat multiple times. If I went the other way, I would only have one (or possibly one and a half) set of wavy lines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this a lot, lovely bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the playfulness of Camelia and colorfulness in your tangle! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Wonderful flow and lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Camelia tile is super, Marta! Great use of colour and yet perfect for Camelia to remain black and white...very clever! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love yours in the grid.....now I might even go grid because of your example!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, bold and colourful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours is fun Marta!! I love the way you have a sweep of it!!

    ~ Diane Clancy

    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2014/05/camelia-challenge-entry/

    ReplyDelete